Cosmetic dentistry, or “aesthetic dentistry,” can make mouths healthier and teeth more attractive and natural-looking. If you’re considering having a procedure with your dentist, here are some common questions and their answers:
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Although the word “cosmetic” usually refers to a person’s appearance, cosmetic dentistry includes several procedures that focus on restoring or improving the teeth, mouth, and/or smile. The techniques can range from a simple tooth whitening to implants, which replace missing teeth and improve not only the appearance of a smile but make eating and speaking easier.
What are the Benefits?
There are several benefits to corrective dental procedures that also improve your appearance.
- Dental veneers can improve the colour of your teeth, leaving them looking natural and white. Such efforts can also encourage you to take better care of your teeth, and avoid food and beverages that might stain the surfaces, resulting in better dental hygiene.
- It’s also possible that a better-looking smile will improve your self-esteem, and allow you to speak with confidence.
- Misaligned teeth can cause headaches and TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome). Porcelain veneers can help correct teeth alignment and protect natural teeth from an uneven bite.
Which Procedure is Right for Me?
Here are some cosmetic dentistry options:
- Teeth Whitening
- Fillings that match the current/natural colour of your teeth
Is Cosmetic Dentistry Appropriate for My Child?
Fractures, misalignment, and teeth discolouration may affect how your children feel about themselves, and their ability to speak and eat. It’s important to consult with your pediatric dentist to correct dental problems early, before they worsen.
How do I Choose a Dentist?
Cosmetic dentistry techniques should only be performed by a certified and trained dental professional. Before scheduling a procedure with a clinic you’ve never visited before, do some research and ask for:
- Before and after photos – You can see examples of work the dentist/hygienist performed for other patients.
- References – Other clients can attest to the reliability and quality of the dental team’s work.
- Certificates of continuing education – This allows you to learn if your clinic’s team are up-to-date with new technologies and approaches.
Consult with your dentist regarding corrective procedures that also help your smile. You might be amazed by the health and cosmetic benefits you experience!
If you need cosmetic dentistry in Sarnia or the surrounding areas, call Lambton Shores Family Dental at (519) 704-1400 or send us a personal email.